What is Microblading?
PhiBrows microblading is a form of semi-permanent cosmetic tattoo. It’s a technique of hyper-realistic eyebrow drawing in which the shape of eyebrows is calculated according to facial morphology and golden ratio proportion. It lasts for about 12-24 months, depending on your type of skin and lifestyle. The pigment is implanted into the correct layer of the skin with a disposable blade for hygiene, this gives the appearance of hair strokes.
What is the difference between all the Microblading techniques?
Microblading is like an art, there are different styles the artist can do to achieve the results the client is after and what they need. We don’t use any stencils to help draw the shape of the eyebrows, it is all done by hand using the golden ratio measuring tool.
When we consult clients, we observe the shape of their brows and the direction of their hair growth. There are many different directions the hair flows.
At the salon, we offer an advanced technique called Bold Brows. This doesn’t mean your brows will be big and bold, it’s the name given to this special technique created by PhiBrows Grand Master Mensura (Megy) Hodzic, whom Leila was lucky enough to be trained by. Bold Brows is Leila’s favourite technique because the stroke work delivers the most natural brow. Being the advanced technique it is also the most challenging to do and Leila thrives on challenges.
We also offer additional manual shading services and combination brows for those girls who love extra depth. It is also good for girls with oily skin.
What’s the Microblading healing process like?
The healing process is different for everyone.
Be aware your new eyebrows will go through a few phases and a true reflection of colour cannot be assessed before the 4-week mark which is the time Leila will see you for your touch up. Your new brows will go from too dark, to too light, to just right.
Immediately after the procedure, the pigment will appear very sharp and dark. This is because the pigment is still sitting on top of your skin and has not yet settled in completely. The colour of the pigment will soften gradually. Once the healing of the skin starts taking place it will look like dandruff flakes or dry skin. This might give you the impression that the colour pigment is fading too quickly. However, this is just superficial colour and dry skin being naturally removed from your eyebrows.
Your eyebrows will be the lightest tones during days 5-12 because the colour is absorbed in the deeper layers of the skin. Later, skin cells push it back to the upper layers. Once the healing is completed, you will enjoy a pair of beautiful, new, natural-looking eyebrows.
It can be a huge process for some so the best advice we can give is to trust the process and TRUST LEILA.
How long will my new brows last?
Your brows will fade over time and you will need a refresher every 1-2 years. Without a refresher, the pigments will gradually fade away. Frequency of refreshers depends on a number of factors including the pigment colour used (lighter colours fade faster), lifestyle (sun exposure) and if any chemical peels/acids/anti-aging and anti-acne products are used on the skin.
Other factors to consider when looking at the longevity of fresh brows:
- Oily skin – pigments tend to fade a lot faster so some ladies might need a refresher 6-8 months later
- Bleeding during appointment
- Medications like antibiotics
- Steamy hot showers
What affects Microblading procedure?
Sun exposure and swimming: The sun will extremely soften the look of your tattoo, so sunblock should be used (once healed).
The regeneration of skin cells: The longer the regeneration takes, the longer the pigment holds. The speed at which the skin absorbs the pigment: The slower the absorption, the longer the pigment will hold.
The choice of colour – some colours fade quicker than others, e.g. a blonde colour will fade quicker than a dark brown colour.
Bleeding during the procedure, any bleeding during the tattooing procedure will reduce the amount of pigment absorption.
Alcohol and certain medications act as blood-thinners and should not be taken prior to and following your appointment.
The use of anti-aging/anti-acne products on the face: These medications and acids travel in the skin, and can not be used for at least 30 days prior to a microblading service. Because of this, problematic skin is not always ideal for microblading. Please contact us before booking if you have concerns.
Am I a good candidate?
There are lots of things to consider before getting Microblading done. It is important because we want the best possible results for you. See the list below.
- Pregnancy – you cannot be pregnant
- Prone to keloid
- Diabetic – must have Doctor’s clearance before the appointment
- Serious diseases such as cancer, epilepsy, autoimmune disorders – (Doctor’s note is required)
- Circulatory disorders – (Doctor’s note is required)
- Any bleeding disorders – (Doctor’s note is required)
- You’re taking blood-thinning medication
- Currently on Accutane or other strong retinoids (You must wait a few months after stopping medication)
- If any skin diseases symptoms or irritation appears on the area.
- You’ve recently had Botox – 2-week gap before and or after
- Old Tattoo/microblading – please send us a picture to assess. Some old pigments can be refreshed
- If you have a sunburn.
- After waxing – (must wait 3 days)
- After chemical peels – (must wait two weeks)
On the day of appointment ONLY
- Gently wipe your brows with aftercare pads provided to remove any lymph
- Apply a TINY amount of aftercare cream provided. Applying too much can result in your brows disappearing. The brows need to breathe!
Follow the above simple steps every hour, 4 times ONLY ON THIS DAY.
The next 6 days –
Apply a rice grain amount of cream per brow morning and night only.
Avoid STEAMY hot showers, swimming, sun exposure, heavy exercise, picking scabs if they form and direct makeup for 7 Days.
Please avoid soaking your brows in the shower, try keep them as dry as possible for 7 days. The cream provided is enough moisture.
Is there anything I need to do before to prepare?
Preparing yourself before the procedure is just as important as the procedure and the aftercare. There are many steps to take to make sure you get the best possible results from Microblading.
- Do not drink alcohol 24 hours prior.
- Do not drink coffee, alcohol or energizing drinks on the day before treatment.
- Do not take Aspirin, Niacin, Vitamin E or Ibuprofen 24 hours before treatment.
- Do not take omega3 (fish oil) 1 week before treatment.
- Do not tan or have intense sun exposure 3 days before treatment.
- No waxing 2-3 days before treatment.
- No chemical peels, dermabrasion, botox, laser or any other intense treatments 2 weeks before treatment.
- We would recommend washing your hair prior so you don’t have to wash it for a few days.
What is lymph?
Body lymph is a normal process which helps to close the microblading strokes made. It’s a form of barrier on the skin to protect the wound. The body is so amazing!
Some people have little while others a lot, which makes it much harder to work with. It’s nothing dangerous.
What is your cancellation policy?
We require 48-hours of notice to cancel or reschedule an appointment. We understand things may occur that are uncontrollable so we provide a multitude of ways to contact us; phone, email, text, and online booking services.
Our time is highly desired by many other clients, the cancellation policy provides us with the time to contact & accommodate another request. Without any notice your deposit will not be able to be used for your next visit.
Booking requirements & Payment options
To book an appointment you must pay a $50 deposit to secure your spot, this will go towards your full payment. You can do this through the booking form online. Your spot will not be secured unless this deposit has been made.
Full payment can be made in person by cash, Paypal, or Bank Transfer to the details below:
Leila – Xobrows
BSB – 062 322
Account Number: 1049 7337
We also have Afterpay availble for a small fee.
Is Microblading painful?
Microblading can be uncomfortable but shouldn’t be unbearable. Numbing is used before and during treatment to make sure the experience is as comfortable as possible.
Most clients actually say the sensation of plucking is worse. In addition, with women who are on their cycle, there is an increased sensitivity to pain, so it is not recommended to do the treatment during this time.
Your first appointment and why you need a touch up.
At your first appointment, we will have an in-depth consultation to discuss your brow journey. We will explain what happens before, during and after so when you do leave you are content. We keep no secrets. Some people are really nervous at their first appointment so we always recommend we go soft and slightly lighter than we usually would just to see how well you heal.
This also gives you the time to get used to your new brows. If you need more at touch up – that’s easy. We can make them fuller and darker but we cannot make them smaller and lighter. Easing into it sometimes is the key.
When you leave you will have beautiful eyebrows! However, during the healing process pigment does fade. For some skin types (oily), you may notice dramatic fading.
The pigment can also fade dramatically because of the failure to follow pre-care and aftercare but also conditions of the skin during the procedure ie, bleeding and lots of lymph drainage (white blood cells that help us heal quick).
When you come in for your touch up 4 weeks later, we will assess your brows and discuss with you what our next steps are. Sometimes we will go over the strokes that are there to make them bolder and other times we may add in some manual shading to create depth to the brow so they can last a bit longer. Some girls come back and say I love them the way they are while others really wanted fuller and darker as they have gotten used to them.
You will notice great improvement after your touch up but it is not uncommon that some girls need a second touch up. When you choose to start your brow journey it’s best to have an open mind and trust the artist and the process. Everyone is different, heals differently and are after different results.
This is our little guide.
Day 1 – I love my brows
Days 2-5 They look darker
Days 5-10 They can start flaking ( not everyone goes through this stage)
Days 10-15 The brows fade and may look like they are disappearing
Days 15-30 The pigment starts to rise to the top and strokes become more visible YAY brows are coming back
4 Weeks Touch up
What services do you offer at your brow bar?
From styling your brows to adding a wash of colour, XoBrows offers a range of brow-enhancing treatments that include:
- Eyebrow Microblading and Feathering — For natural and fluffy eyebrows, you never have to fill in — our microblading and feathering treatment is a semi-permanent makeup tattoo that infuses your brows with greater definition and a natural finish anywhere from 1-3 years. .
- Ombre Brows — As it replicates the delicate look of powdered makeup with a soft ombre finish, this semi-permanent cosmetic tattoo offers a fantastic treatment to sculpt your face and soften your complexion. With a treatment tailored to the morphology of your face, ombre brows boast a more “coloured in” finish lasting up to three years.
- Brow Lamination — With an innovative solution and expert technique, our laminated brows treatment reshapes and sets your eyebrows for a fuller and flawless look and can help bring misaligned eyebrows back into symmetry.
- Eyebrow Shaping and Waxing — From threading to trimming your brows, this service will sculpt your eyebrows to enhance their natural shape and arch. Ensuring there’s no hair out of place, our technicians will help you elevate your appearance so you’re always event-ready, even for everyday wear.
- Eyebrow Tinting — Adding a wash of colour, we use a semi-permanent pigment to add dimension to your eyebrows while helping to open up the profile of your eyes. Try it today to make your brows look fuller and complement the proportions of your other facial features.
- Henna Eyebrows — Using a natural henna dye to stain your follicles, you can step out with bolder, brasher brows to make a statement. A fantastic option if your eyebrows fall on the lighter side, its natural ingredients help your brows look more defined while encouraging new growth.
- Eyebrow Microblading Training Course — If you have passion, want to learn a new skill and want to give your clients a lasting treatment they will love, our two-day training course will give you all our insider information and tips and tricks. With an extensive curriculum, you can learn from an industry professional so you can expertly lead your business built on strong foundational skills.
How long does an average brow service appointment take?
It depends on your selected treatment and the condition of your brows. Microblading eyebrows can take up to two hours per visit to achieve a natural finish, this also includes our in-depth consultation prior to beginning. Other services like eyebrow tinting, shaping and waxing can be performed in under 30 minutes, enabling you to sneak away during your lunch break at work for a touch of self-care. Although if you combine shape, tint and wax it could take up to an hour.
Is it safe to get eyebrow services if I have sensitive skin or skin conditions?
Yes — we understand that everybody’s skin is as unique as themselves. During your consultation, your technician will consider your sensitivities, identify whether you’re a suitable candidate and create a tailored treatment plan to ensure you’re best supported and feel confident throughout the treatment.
For treatments that have the potential to trigger a slight pain response, we can apply a numbing agent to calm irritation and ensure you step out at ease with the most dramatic brows of your life.
Is it safe to get brow services during pregnancy?
If you’re a little extra blessed, we recommend waiting until after your delivery to schedule your microblading or ombre eyebrows appointment. In the meantime, we can define your eyebrows and renew your complexion with our other services. Henna eyebrows, anyone?
What safety measures are in place to ensure a clean and hygienic environment?
To ensure you always experience the XoBrows standard, our salon is stringently and regularly cleaned, and we use single-use products to provide an unmatched level of hygiene and service.